Please note: due to the current Covid-19 pandemic we are not doing face-to-face sessions or community classes, in-line with government guidelines. Kate is delivering a number of online classes via Zoom and we have set-up an online Facebook group to promote sessions and host live workouts. Feel free to join the group – take care, stay safe and strong!
Ruth offers exercise referral personal training – she specialises in exercise referral for people that have health related conditions and have had a diagnosis of cancer, and are going through or recovering from treatment.
Exercise and physical activity benefits in many ways, leading an active lifestyle can improve overall health, help reduce the risk of chronic conditions and disease and help improve life expectancy. It can also help you to manage and live with existing health related conditions.
To maintain a good quality of life and to take part in recreational activities it’s essential to have an efficient cardiovascular system. Low cardiovascular fitness is associated with increased risk of chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and coronary heart disease. Increased physical activity and exercise can help in the prevention of these diseases.
Physical activity is defined as any movement that will result in an increase in your energy expenditure, this includes exercise and sporting activities but also includes your activities of daily living such as housework, gardening, manual labour and any active hobbies. To perform exercise and these tasks of daily living its also essential to have a good level of muscular strength and endurance. Muscles need to be strong enough to carry out daily tasks such as lifting, carrying, pulling or pushing objects, climbing the stairs and getting up and down from a chair.
What is exercise referral?
Exercise referral is tailored exercise for individuals that have specific controlled medical conditions, such as:
- Cardiovascular conditions
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Respiratory conditions
- Obesity & weight related conditions
- Joint replacements
- Simple lower back pain
- Mental health conditions
Exercise sessions can be delivered from the comfort of your own home, in local gyms and in suitable outdoor areas such as local parks and green spaces. All equipment needed for the sessions will be provided, all you need to do is bring water to stay hydrated and be ready to exercise and have some fun!
Ruth also instructs weekly chair-based group classes in Ramsbottom and Whitefield, which may be of interest, to exercise and socialise, giving you the chance to meet new people and make friends – follow this link to find out more about these classes.
- Free consultation – where we will discuss your condition and how it affects you personally. I will assess you and your condition. We will discuss and go through your medications (if you take any) and discuss any side affects you may suffer from.
- Goal setting – to include health, fitness and nutritional goals.
- Health and fitness assessments – to include PAR-Q and functional test.
- Tailored individual and progressive exercise plans – sessions to suit your fitness levels and exercise preferences.
- Support and guidance – on independent exercise
- Help and signposting – to other services in the area that may help in the management of your condition.
Requirements to take part in exercise…
Prior to taking part in any exercise session, Ruth will need a letter from your doctor, medical professional or physiotherapist stating you are safe to exercise. She will also need a list of all your medications and you will be required to complete you a physical activity readiness questionnaire, which you will do as part of your consultation.
Unfortunately, there are some conditions that you cannot exercise with. Here are some contraindications to exercise:
- Any recent cardiac event
- Acute myocarditis or pericarditis (infection of the fluid/membrane around the heart)
- Blood pressure readings over 180/100
- Uncontrolled resting tachycardia of >100 bpm
- Unstable angina
- Uncontrolled arrythmias
- Rapidly progressing terminal illness
If you have any questions about exercise referral training, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Ruth:
Call Ruth: 07891092893
Alternatively fill out the contact form below and Ruth will be in touch:
You can also follow on Facebook, check out our page and give it the thumbs up: Facebook.com/BrooksFitnessPT